UNILAG students unaware of drowned mates



Funmi abandoned father’s birthday party to be with friends By Evelyn Usman, Dayo Adesulu, Esther Onyegbula & Elizabeth Uwandu Students of the University of Lagos, UNILAG, yesterday, were still unaware of the two post-graduate students that drowned at Elegushi Beach, Lekki, weekend. UNILAG’s Master students, who spoke with Vanguard on phone, said they were not aware of the tragedy that befell Funmi and Shola, students of International Law and Diplomacy at the institution. Ibrahim Moyosere, a Master student of Economics, said he was unaware that such an incident happened. He said: “I do not know if any student died. I am only interested in my exams.” Another Master student, from Mass Communication Department, who simply gave her name as Bukola, expressed shock over the development, but said: “I am in school now and have not heard of such a terrible misfortune.” Meanwhile, spokesperson for Lagos State Police Command, Superintendent of Police Dolapo Badmos, has said investigation is ongoing to unravel the circumstance that led to the death of two post-graduate students. It will be recalled that Funmi Odusina, 24, and Adesola Ogunmefun, 27, were swept away by tides on Sunday during the birthday celebration of their friend, identified as Bolu. Funmi and Shola Odusina was said to have been recovered dead by local divers, while Ogunmefun, it was gathered, died later. Bolu, who survived the incident, was discharged from the hospital, yesterday. Father’s birthday It was gathered that Funmi, whose father’s birthday, according to her elder brother Gbenga Odusina, was on June 6, had boycotted a family function that Sunday to attend Bolu’s beach party. Gbenga, who was the first family member to comment on the issue yesterday, said: “Happy birthday to my dad. As much I would have loved to celebrate his 65th birthday, death snatched away his baby daughter, my sister, Funmi. I have never experienced death this close. “I still saw her in the afternoon (Sunday) making up. I even told her ‘Funmi, you’re really dressed like a big madam today’. “She cleaned her room so well; maybe she knew she was going to meet her creator a few hours later. “I saw her lifeless body at the mortuary and all I could do was wonder how? But I never really queried how God does His things and I continue to give thanks to Him for all. Rest in peace dear sister!” UNILAG reacts Meanwhile, authorities of the institution have said they will release a statement on the demise of the two students today, as soon as investigation is concluded. Dean of Students Affairs, Professor Babatunde Babalakin, in a telephone conversation with Vanguard, said that the school authorities have started investigation on the issue. Babalakin, who lamented the sudden death, explained that since they were post-graduate students of the institution, the school cannot restrict their movements. He said: “We are looking into the matter and as soon as the investigation is concluded, an official statement shall be released.” Vanguard learned that the families were set to conduct autopsy on the bodies, which are still at the Lagos Island General Hospital mortuary. According to Funmi’s older sister, Bukola Odusina, their family was devastated and their parents speechless. She urged that safety measures be put in place at the various beaches to avoid recurrent avoidable deaths. Friend mourns Their friend, Mayowa Oyebanji, who was still in shock, said Ogunmefun had promised to be at his wedding. He wrote: “R.I.P. Adesola Olubola Ogunmefun and Phummie Toe’dunni Odusina. So I lost two of you in a day! I still cannot believe you are gone. Sola…no! “Sola, you promised to be at my wedding as Iya Oko (groom’s mother) the last time I came to your house. Memories won’t let me be…been reading our chats, stalking your Instagram account and trying your phone number. Maybe you will pick my call. “Continue to rest in heaven, my teflon nihga, till we meet to part no more. No goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.”

Share this

0 Comment to "UNILAG students unaware of drowned mates"

Post a Comment