Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria.

My aim of creating this thread is to make it easier for would be solar panel consumers to make informed decisions before getting their own solar system. It will also enable me to be able to convince people about going solar and the best brand of products to purchase. People have been marketing solar businesses here and there, but we don't know if their products will last long in service.
I'm presently using some Indian products I suppose, and I'm quit satisfied with some while other ones are quit disappointing. So I employ all solar system users to kindly come in and talk about their batteries, inverters, charge controllers and solar panels.
I'll talk about the brands I'm using and also, will talk about the brands I've heard about.

INVERTER

Firstly, I'm using Microtek (1.6KVa/24V) Pure Sinewave Inverter which is a very strong one and is almost getting to it's sixth month. Why I classify it as a strong inverter is that on several occasions, I've had it plugged into a socket that feeds off itself mistakenly but it hasn't developed any fault at all. From what I've heard, this can outrightly damage an inverter. I've been more careful these days but as you all know it, mistakes are bound to happen and I usually tend to repeat it once in a while. By the way, it's made in India.
I've heard about Indian brands like Su-Kam, Luminous and Synergy. These set seems to be the high end Indian products and from what I've heard, it seems they do their work well tho might be costlier than others. My bro used his Luminous Inverter for 18 months before it developed fault.. I've heard only very little about other brands like MPower, SoccerPower, etc. From what I heard about these other inverters, they are ok.
From the person I purchased my solar system, I got to hear of American brand called TriStar. Quit expensive but does it job outstandingly well.

BATTERIES

This one seems to be the major problem people are likely to encounter when going solar. There are so many brands of batteries out there but getting a cheap one that will last long is quit difficult. I'm using 2 of 12V/200Ah PowerTek Deep Cycle batteries, of which one of them is giving me issues just within 6 months of purchase. One of the batteries never gets beyond 10.7 volts after full charge (and during initial us sage) while the other reaches 12.9V after full charge and during initial discharge. The man I bought it from asked me to have a car battery charger to charge the faulty one separately but I've not had the chance for that yet.
I've heard about Luminous, Synergy and Su-Kam batteries and from what I heard, they are pretty ok, although expensive. A friend of mine that works for a Solar system coy told me that the top three Indian products in Nigeria are the strongest ones among the Indian ones. And that they hardly get complains from consumers in that regards. My brother has used Luminous battery for 18 months and it appears to still be working fine while his Luminous Inverter seems to be faulty after using it for 18 months.
TriStar is expensive but better than the Indian batteries though.
One of the top Chinese brands in Nigeria is Mercury. I've not used it before, but based on what my bro said, he was like people that he knows that use it don't complain. It's quit cheap and in same range as some lower end Indian products in terms of prices.
CHARGE CONTROLLER

In this case, I use a Chinese product and it did get faulty whenever my batteries discharge below the Low Voltage Disconnection Protection (LDP). In this case, I've changed this product twice (within six months) due to the guarantee period given by the guy that sold it to me. From its pack, it is more of a nameless product.
In this case, TriStar is expensive but as usual will give you value for your money. I neither know nor have I heard much about Indian brands of Charge Controllers. Although I've used one in the past which worked pretty well and always tells me when I should switch off my inverter by a red signal light. Will get the name later and post on this thread.

SOLAR PANEL
For panels, I think any panel will do. All the consumer has to do is ensure that the ratings are accurate. Ask the seller to test the Short Circuit Current and Voltage for you and once done, multiply the current (I) by the Voltage (V) to see if it is close to or same as the panel power ratings in Watts. After confirming this, just take your panel home ensuring you prevent it from damage during transport and installation, and you should be good to go. Solar panels last for as much as 20 - 25 years or more. Though in dry seasons and dusty areas, they require cleaning once in a while. However, in rainy seasons, rainfalls can help you clean them up.
My products are 2 of 300W/24V panels. Quite heavy and large.

Share this

0 Comment to "Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria."

Post a Comment